If you'd like to request a courtesy refund with United Airlines due to illness or death in the family, you can easily do so following the steps below. Please note that any refund would be at the discretion of United Airlines and never guaranteed.
Here are the steps to apply for a refund with United Airlines:
- Head to the United Airlines Refund Center.
- Under the Request a Refund tab, enter your personal information under section 1: "Your Information."
3. Next, click on "Add flight" under section 2: "Select items for refund." A new window will appear and you will be prompted to enter your last name and your ticket number.
4. Click on "Add flights" once again and your booking information will then appear.
5. Click on the arrow next to your first flight (circled in red below)
6. You'll need to check the box "My purchase isn’t listed" for each flight on your reservation. You will then be prompted to enter the name of the item for which you are requesting a refund. In this case, type "Ticket" and enter your ticket number listed above.
7. Scroll down to section 3: "The details." You will have the opportunity to describe the reason for your refund request in the text box.
8. After entering the reason for your refund request in free-form, you will be required to submit supporting documents (e.g. Official doctor's certificate or death certificate).
Once you've uploaded the supporting documents, you'll need to provide your email address under section 4: "How to get back to you."
9. To finalize your request, click on ‘Submit’ at the bottom of the page. Once submitted, the website will display a confirmation page for your request. Be sure to save this for your records.