If you'd like to request a courtesy refund with American Airlines due to illness or death in the family, you can easily do so following the steps below. Please note that any refund would be at the discretion of American Airlines and never guaranteed.
Here are the steps to apply for a refund with American Airlines:
- Head to the American Airlines Refund Center
- Under the Request a Refund tab, enter the passenger's last name and ticket number, then click "Submit." You'll need to do this for each passenger on the booking that you'd like to request a refund for.
3. You will be redirected to a page with information about your American Airlines reservation. Once you have reviewed this information, click "Continue" and then on the next screen, click "Continue" again under "Refund Eligibility Information."
4. Next, enter your contact information and hit "Continue."
5. You will then be able to review the information you entered for accuracy. Once reviewed, select a "Reason for Refund" using the drop-down menu and add any comments about your request that you'd like American Airlines to know about.
6. On the next page, you can upload supporting documents based on the option you have selected under "Reason for Refund" (e.g. Official doctor's certificate or death certificate).
7. Once you have successfully uploaded the file(s), click on "Submit." You may need to shrink the files in order for them to be accepted by their website. You can compress PDFs to a smaller size here if you need to.
8. The following page will provide you with a confirmation number for your request. Be sure to save this for future reference.
9. After submitting your request, you should hear back from the airline within about 2-6 weeks.